OK so the last bread recipe I posted is pretty much amazing. But it’s got nothing on these little 5 grain (or more!) buns. Again, there’s no kneading/bread-maker required, but these are as easy as throwing some ingredients together in a bowl before you go to bed. In the morning you just need to give yourself 30 minutes for oven time and voila…hot, healthy bread rolls!
Healthy little grain rolls
Adapted from My New Roots
- 3 cups whole grain or whole wheat flour
- 1 cup of mixed grains (ie. rolled oats, sesame seeds, flaxseeds, rye kernels – just whatever you like!)
- 2 cups of water
- 1/2 tsp instant yeast
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 2 tsp olive oil
- salt and seeds for topping (optional)
- Put flours, grains, yeast and salt in a bowl.
- Add water and oil.
- Stir til it’s all combined.
- Cover with plastic wrap or tea towel. Go to bed.
- In the morning, heat the oven to around 200C.
- Oil and flour a baking tray and place little balls of the dough onto them. I made them quite small. A bit smaller than my palm.
- Sprinkle with salt (trust me, it’s gooood) and some seeds if you like.
- Bake for around 30 minutes or until they sound hollow when you tap ’em.