Oct
25

Let us live longer

Written by | 2 comments »

Grains will kill you or maybe they’ll make you live longer. Sugar will make you fat, but only a certain type of sugar. Soy is a good dairy alternative – but be careful because it can be dangerous for women. Coffee is a great natural stimulant – but it’s also an addictive drug. Eggs are bad for you – but no maybe they’re good for you. Olive oil is really good for you – but don’t cook with it because it becomes toxic. Eating meat is a great source of protein and fat – but it’s also murder. Dairy is a good source of calcium, fat and protein, but it’s also bad for the skin. Fruit has too much sugar so don’t eat too much – but the fibre and nutritional content is so great that you must eat it! If you want to lose weight you should cut out carbs. Or maybe you should snack all day. Or maybe you shouldn’t eat after 6pm. Or maybe you should just exercise more and eat what you like. You shouldn’t eat that food if you have that blood type and have you considered the acidity of the foods you eat?

Confused? Yeah, so am I. But is life too short to really give a shit about this stuff? Should I just eat and be merry? Probably. And to an extent, that’s what I do. But I also believe life is too short to not give a shit about this stuff. I don’t want to be hugely overweight by the time I’m 40. I don’t want to suffer the consequences that decades of mindless eating may bring in my old age.

So I’ve decided to write about my thoughts on food over the next few weeks. I’m no expert and please don’t take anything I say as gospel – but most things I talk about will be from my own experiences and where I am talking about the experiences of other people I will say so.

On the menu:

  • Sugar
  • Grains
  • Vegetables
  • Raw
  • Alkaline & acidic foods
  • Fat
  • Eggs
  • Meat
  • Breakfast, lunch & dinner

To kick things off, here are a few rules that I try to live by.

1. Drink water. First thing in the morning (with lemon), between meals, with meals and with dinner. Green tea boosts metabolism so drink twice a day. Stay away from juice. Coffee black each morning, no sugar. Sometimes with full fat milk.

2. Avoid sugar. I’ll go into more depth as this is a big one for me. Sugar includes fruit and all things sweet (for now) but a piece of fruit each day is OK.

3. Limit grains. This includes all grains – rice, wheat, spelt, oats etc. Ideally I would cut them out of my diet completely, but for now I am allowing a few (mainly rye bread and occasionally some oats) because I am breastfeeding.

4. Eat more veges. Quite seriously, do you get 5+ servings of vegetables each day? My main goal right now is to aim for 7 servings of different vegetables every day.

5. Don’t fear fat. I’ll go into more depth on this, but fat is my friend. If this sounds strange to you, consider this: We have more ‘fat free’ foods in supermarkets than ever before but we’re still fatter than we’ve ever been as a society. Also consider this: what makes you feel fuller faster: juice or full-fat milk?

So I’ll be sharing recipes, menus, blogs and websites that I find interesting on each topic. I’d love to hear your thoughts, how you eat, what concerns you, what works for you etc. Everyone is different and I think eating is all about finding something that works for you, makes you feel great and will ensure you live a long life. More soon!

  • Stacey

    Great idea Pam!!! I’m a huge believer in the ‘everything in moderation’ rule. Life is too short and too damn amazing to not try everything once and instead people should enjoy all of the foods they love (i repeat….in moderation)!

  • Pamela

    I agree Stace. I would never pass on a new experience! I believe in the 80/20 rule… so long as I’m eating well (by my standards) 80% of the time, then the other 20% is for experimentation and weak moments :P

    I also believe that eating is a hugely social experience. No-one likes the person who passes on EVERYTHING at a meal because they’re a gluten/dairy/sugar/wheat-free vegan. If I’m dining with good friends then I definitely assume the ‘moderation’ rule :)