Sharing a cookie with Mimi.
We are on day 3 of our version of an elimination diet for Mika. We are trying our best to cut out ALL dairy, eggs, wheat, soy, nuts & gluten. Soy is in everything it seems, and it’s making it tricky to get food into this girl. There’s only so much oatmeal and hummus we can feed her (i think?). Anyway, more on that later.
I’ve read so many good articles lately, I can barely recall them all, but thought I’d share a few that have come through in the last couple days. Enjoy!
- The secret to desire in a long term relationship.
- Everything you want to know about yourself and anyone else you care about. (Addictive).
- How to talk to your daughter about her body.
- You should date an illiterate girl.
- For all of y’all curious about the Paleo Diet.
- Tampon commercials are way cooler than when I was a teenager.
- Careful what you search for.
- 40 days of dating.
- Adele writes (brilliantly) about work/life balance.
- And last but definitely not least, my beautiful mama has started a blog! I set it up for her but she is a little shy about getting the word out there. Have a read and leave an encouraging comment or two while you’re there
Some good reads/finds of late:
I finally got my invite to Duolingo and I am in love. It’s like Rosetta Stone, but free and using real texts from the internet and they’ve turned learning a language into a game!!!
Incase you were curious about getting enough iron as a vegetarian or vegan.
“In exploration, children ask: “What does this object do?” In play it is “What can I do with this?” When a child is confronted with too many new toys they spend too long exploring and not enough time playing. “The theory is that children who play more tend to become more creative, imaginati ve and emotionally secure.” From when toys take over.
Feeling in a rut? Inspiring thoughts from Adele should help.
A list of films to see before you’re 14.
13 simple steps to get you through a rough day. (That first one really works).
One of Ivan’s good friends and Mika’s god fathers just started a new job in Monterrey, Mexico. He’s got an awesome portfolio, check it out!
If you like maps and birds, check this out.
Despite the fact that this is from P&G (one of ten orchestrators of choice) – it’s quite a sweet video. I got teary.
Today is the anniversary of the day she was due. March 14. I wonder if I’ll ever forget that day. Her first birthday is in 9 days and I was pretty chill about it all until I read this. And now I’m an emotional mess. Not really, but it definitely got me thinking about how easy it is to obsess over the things that do.not.matter in the grand scheme of things. So thank you Karen Maezen Miller for reminding me about what matters.
Here’s some more cool stuff on our internets that I’ve enjoyed lately:
Ivan wants to get better at filming, so he started a little personal project for himself. He’s going to film a little clip every single day and upload it to a website for other people to use if they like. The site is called a daily take and he is on day 5.
As we explore new neighbourhoods (virtually) for our new home, we’ve really enjoyed this website that helps you live the most walkable lifestyle possible.
Last night we tried ‘phase one’ of Dr Gordon’s ‘Changing Sleep Patterns‘ plan, which seemed to work awesome for this wee family. It sucked for about 45 minutes and then the next time I heard Mika start whining, I checked the time and it was 6am! I leaped out of bed, kissed her a million times and happily sat with her on the play mat for an hour or so while she chatted away to me, pretending to feed me from her play bowls and practicing her sweet standing moves. She started yawning again around 8am so I whisked her away in the pram for a beautiful morning jog. How can morning jogs be beautiful? When they’re crisp and fresh and leave your skin feeling tingly and alive and your lungs feeling strong and ginormous.
Did I mention we are going to Mexico City this week? I am impossibly excited. Mexico City is huge. According to Wikipedia, the Mexico City metropolitan area population is 21.2 million people, making it the largest metropolitan area in the western hemisphere. That’s massive. (New York apparently has 22.2 million, just to compare.)
The list is long, but here’s a quick rundown of the things that I am most excited for:
- Bikram Yoga!
- Swimming pools
- Organic health shops
- Searching for great coffee
- The Anthropology museum
- The library (!)
- Bosque de Chapultepec (the largest city park in Latin America, measuring in total just over 686 hectares!)
- Zara (kid’s clothing)
- Cheap and amazing food
- Our sweet accommodation (found through Airbnb)
- Hair cuts
- Wandering the streets
- Sitting in cafes
I’m also excited because I’ll be running a 10km race! Remember how I said I was going to look for one? Well, I did – and as a result – we planned an entire week’s holiday around it. I’m not sure about running it in under 45 minutes….for now I’m just going to be happy with 50 minutes. We’ll see how it goes!
A few things I’ve been loving lately:
- The Shins have a new album. ‘Simple Song’ is available today!
- I’ve been thinking about weaning Mika. (Thinking about.) This very honest post by Joanna Goddard is a great read for anyone who has weaned or is thinking about weaning.
- A city decides to adopt a type-face. (This video just makes me think that Chattanooga would be a fun place to live!)
- Have you been following the Food Matters Project? This week’s roasted red pepper pesto is making me drooool.
- Ivan’s finally had a bit of time to work on his short film these last few days. Check out his progress.
- You have to read this. It’s long, but incredible.
- Have you heard of the humble brag? Until a few days ago I hadn’t either, but they.are.hilarious. Check out these 50 funny ones.
Mika and I deciding to make the most of the super hot and glorious midday sun with an outdoor bath
Some stuff I’ve seen lately and been meaning to share:
This video about a man living in a Food Desert in Cincinnatti.
This NYT photo journalism piece on eating together.
A free OWL CALENDAR?! Oh my. Yes please.
Cat Power’s new song. Donate for an instant download.
A wee girl’s thoughts on marketing. Gorgeous and awesome.
Wanna do 100 pushups? Ivan and I
think we might will never do this. But it’s fun to consider.
Since deciding to start my daily yoga practice here in Mexico (more on that soon!) I’ve become addicted to online yoga videos. This time lapse is….awesome.